*/

Memory.. Little threads that hold life's patches of meaning together. ~ Mark Twain

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Preparing The Wedding Bed

Our bedroom was finally complete and ready for the next stage - Preparing the wedding bed! Took a day's off from work on Friday just to wait for the deliveries and assembly, hung up the room curtains, cleaned the bathrooms, swept and mopped the floors, vacuumed the carpet, and even cleaned the window panes. Was so exhausted by the end of the day!

Inspector followed my family and I back to Dad's hometown on Saturday morning to offer prayers to Yeh Yeh and Nai Nai. We also went to visit my other relatives there to hand them their invitation cards as well as the second batch of 'ka lui beng'. It was his first time there, so Sis and I brought him to walk around the town which was really nothing very interesting actually. I think the most interesting part for him was when he followed us out for supper. I had initially told him that we would all be going for supper but he did not expect that there would be one whole troop of us - my uncles, aunties, Mum, Sis, cousins and even my nephews and nieces. There were at least 20 of us at the kopitiam. He commented that even in KL, he had never gone 'yum char' with his relatives, at most also with his cousins only. The other best part was when my uncle bought 2 bags full of their local durians. Inspector had a great time feasting on them. Tee hee hee..

Went back to the new house on Sunday afternoon to hang up these Chinese word decoration on the main and bedroom doors, and also to slip in angpow packets in each of the drawers in the bedroom.

Double Happiness
"Hei" - Double happiness

Then my family went over, along with my family's neighbours to help us prepare the bed. According to Chinese customs, we'd need to get wedded couple to make the bed for us. They should be with good fortune, with children and all, well to do, bla bla bla.. They're supposed to realign the bed, fit in the bedsheet and the pillowcases, and drape the bed with the duvet cover. In return, we gave them an angpow each as a token of appreciation. I think my neighbours had a lot of fun doing it. Even though they are Chinese, they'd never knew much about the traditions (just like Inspector and I) so when 2 of their children got married, they basically followed the Westernized way. So they were both quite excited witnessing the 'koh tai lei' ceremony and got the honor to make the bed for us. I think they're gonna follow this when their other daughter gets married in the near future. *smile*

For Good Luck
My neighbours' finishing touches - angpows on top of the pillows

Both of us are not quite a fan of red colour, especially for our bed! But what to do, being a Chinese, everything must be red. Mum said to keep it that way for at least 1 week after the wedding, then we are free to change the bedsheet/duvet cover colours and all. Yay! On the wedding day, Inspector's nephew will poke through a covered potty to retrieve an angpow packet in it and then hop onto the wedding bed (apparently for fertility). Next agendas will be to shift my things over (I have yet to pack!!!), discussion with my emcees and oh, so many more things to do.... *Gah* What's more, I'll be away for exhibition in KLCC this week - Am on duty. *Sighz* Anybody going for it?

Two more weeks to go!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home