*/

Memory.. Little threads that hold life's patches of meaning together. ~ Mark Twain

Monday, September 18, 2006

On Funeral Services

The only funeral services I had attended in my entire life were my grandparents' where they followed the typical Chinese traditions that stretches up to 3-5 days (have to look at the Chinese almanac for auspicious days too)!

Last weekend, I accompanied Inspector to attend a friend's younger sister's church funeral. I very much understand that it's somewhat like church weddings - lots of singing, prayers and sermons. The thing that I was quite uncomfortable about was this particular pastor's sermon. He talked about people dying either through illness, old age or tragic accidents. She died in a road accident, by the way. The pastor just kept talking about people dying from tragic accidents, he even went on and on and on about "If you're afraid to die, then you're afraid to live". I mean, for goodness sake, the family was grieving terribly there and had just lost their 21 year old family member and he was like rubbing more pain to them. Maybe I just didn't interpret correctly on what he was trying to say but hey, at least be a little bit more consoling towards the family la.

It just reminds me of a cousin sister's church wedding where the pastor preached on and on about how it's not right for homosexuals to marry each other (my cousin married a guy, okay!) and I was like, "What???!!!" I truly understand it if the pastors talk about all these during their normal church services. But on funerals and weddings? Oh come on, please don't spoil it la.

But anyway, I've decided that when I die, I want a very simple ceremony. No burning stuffs nor prayers that last a few days. Just one whole night of family and close friends gathered together to reunite, to forgive one another for life is too short to hold grudges forever; play my favourite songs and show pictures of me with them, for them to remember me by and as a dedication to thank them for being a part of my life. The next morning, let them say their eulogies and then cremate me. Spread my ashes onto the ocean but to ask my family to keep a photo of me so that they won't forget me years later...

Then again, I hope I get to live till my 80th birthday at least.. My condolences to the family for the loss of their beloved angel..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home